A blog originally for keeping track of my hobby of being a Beekeeper which has evolved to include Home Brewing and even more recently to follow me and my families approach to "The Good Life". Eventually I hope to include baking recipes and stories of our flock of chickens also reporting on the success and failure at the allotments.

Wednesday 28 May 2014

Spring Honey Extracted

Continued on from my last post, which had no photos, here is the process with photos!

Spring honey extraction
Steph tending the smoker


Spring honey extraction
Lots of full frames of honey


Spring honey extraction
All capped and ready to go


Spring honey extraction
Using a sharp knife I sliced the cappings off


Spring honey extraction


Spring honey extraction
My brand new extractor - the plastic protective layer has since been removed


Spring honey extraction
More cappings sliced off


Spring honey extraction
The extractor takes 4 frames at a time


Spring honey extraction
Honey and bits of wax going into a 2 stage strainer


Spring Honey
A part bucket of honey 2 days after extraction, it has set solid!


Spring Honey
The full bucket of honey - again set solid. There's approximately 15 kg in there!

Spring Honey
After vigorously beating and stirring the set part bucket of honey I was able to get it soft enough to put some in jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment